Saturday, May 30, 2009

Thomas Edward Butcher has arrived!


After keeping me waiting for a torturous 6 extra days, baby Thomas finally arrived on May 22nd, 2009 at 10:50am! We were so happy to welcome him into the family, and a bit surprised he made his entrance so quickly! I had experienced quite a bit of false labor in the 6 days he was late, but when my contractions started for real, he showed his beautiful blue eyes only 6 hours later. Only an hour and a half after my contractions started, they were right on top of each other and I was super anxious for the anesthesiologist to appear with sweet relief... which he did... but instead of an epidural, I got what is called an intrathecal (which my girls in ATL tell me they don't even DO there anymore...). And it wore off just in time for me to complete to 10cm and push the little man out without any medicine! (my exclamation point is a hint of sarcasm at the end of that statement) In all actuality, I am *sort of* glad that I now know I really COULD do it if I had to...but at the same time, every woman could do it if she had to... cause you just have to. A baby has to come out so you really have no choice. However, if given the chance to have pain meds the next go round (whenever that may be and NO we are not planning for it to be soon) I will choose pain meds as I chose for all three...and hopefully they'll hold all the way through.
But - all in all - it was still a great birth experience. Our friend, Sonja, is an L&D nurse here and she came in to take care of me and help deliver Thomas. I can't imagine having that experience without her there to help us (this is not to say Jonathan wasn't pivotal, of course he was the most important person there for me)... she really was so supportive, helpful, and encouraging.... her presence gave me quite a bit of mental fortitude to "rise above" and not hoot and holler through the delivery. On a side note - birthing a child is HARD WORK and contrary to my experience with Maggie and Jack, I sure did sweat with this one!
So, enough about the birth story....Thomas weighed in at 8 lbs 13 oz and 20.5 inches tall. By 5 days after his birth he was almost back up to birth weight, and sleeping and eating like a champ. Maggie and Jack absolutely love him and are constantly trying to kiss him, hug him, give him his paci, put a blanket on him, yada yada... they really are too cute. And finally - here are some pictures! -







No comments: